Monday, February 2, 2015

Affirmations

I thought this was appropriate since I was diagnosed with a melanoma skin cancer today.
I have been affirming:  I am whole, healthy and happy on every level of my being.
I am completely healed, totally healed, and filled with the love and light of my creator.

Affirmations

In Unity we talk about affirmations all the time.
Recently I read a book from the late 70’s Creative Visualization by Shakti Gawain.
She states: “Affirmations are one of the most important elements of creative visualization.  To affirm means to make firm.
An affirmation is a strong, positive statement that something is already so.
It is a way of making firm that which you are imagining.”

I remember that was the gist of how we were taught to pray
in the Prayer Chaplain class I completed a few years ago.
Pray from the perspective that you have already received it.

She goes on with her recommendations for affirmations:
1.     Always phrase affirmations in the present tense,
not in the future, as if it already exists.
2.     Always phrase affirmations in the most positive way you can.
Affirm what you do want, not what you don’t want.
3.    In general. The shorter and simpler the affirmation the more effective.
4.    Always choose affirmations that feel totally right to you.
5.    Always remember when doing affirmations
that you are creating something new and fresh.
You are not trying to change or redo what already exists.
6.    Affirmations are not meant to contradict
or try to change your feelings or emotions.
7.    When using affirmations,
try as much as possible to create a feeling of belief,
an experience that they can be true.

She also mentions anyone who has meditated
knows how hard it is to quiet the mind, your inner talk.
She mentions how very valuable it is to just become consciously aware
of the types of thoughts you habitually think.
They are old programming which is still influencing
what’s happening to you today.

So that’s a good place to start
become aware of the types of thoughts you think
especially if they are negative or disempowering.
Then “affirmations can help you create a new point of view about life
which will enable you to have more
and satisfying experiences from now on.”

Try it
reprogramming old habits of thought
is like learning a new skill
write yourself an affirmation and repeat it over and over.
Repetition is the mother of skill
and in this case the mother of change.
She lists many possible affirmations
I’ll leave you with this one:
“All things are now working together for good in my life.
I am now attuned to the divine plan of my life.”


God blesses you and yours this day and every day, Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment