Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Three 08.25.15



Three
08.25.15

I was standing in a parking lot on a cold winter’s day listening to a dear friend.
She asked: “Would you like to meet my daughter?”
I felt like a deer caught in a car’s headlights!
I had just returned from a trip to see Jason and Kelly and my dear grandchildren.
I remember telling them both how I had come to terms with my loss
and was planning to live out my life alone.

It sounded good intellectually, but somewhere in my heart I knew I was truly fooling myself.
I was putting off not addressing these feelings of being interested in a couple of people.
Yet here I was stunned when confronted with just a simple:
“would you like to meet question!”
She explained a few things about her and I immediately got apprehensive.
My logical mind ticked off three quick strikes on why it would never work.
She’s Catholic, has two teenagers, and is nearly 10 years younger than I!

Now I stood there looking at this loving friend
who’s asking and feeling awkward about having asked at all.
Me I’m dumbfounded how do I reply?
Finally, I blurt out “I’ll have to get back to you on that, I need to pray about it.
I’ll send you an email and let you know.”
We both part having felt geez was that appropriate? 

I took it to meditation and asked if it was right.
Spirit is a funny thing I got an answer that left me with more questions.
“She can help with Alex.”
So in any case I took that as a yes, realizing she had a role somehow in my life.
As Laura and I came to know each other, she kept on with a common theme.
I can’t believe this is happening to me,
I won’t believe it until it’s been three years.

Well, My Love, I waited to write this for three years.
I even waited to make it three years after we were married.
Now I know it didn’t take you three years to believe it
I see that every time I gaze into your eyes.

Happy Anniversary Baby Doll.

All My Love Always, Keith


I look in your eyes and there I see
What happiness really means
The love that we share makes life so sweet
Together we'll always be

 
From the Luther Vandross song Here and Now
that was sung at our wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment