Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The Owls



THE OWLS
10/17/11

Ah, they are back!
The owls are back again, chatting in the tree tops.
Two distinct calls: one much deeper than the other.
Mates perhaps, I know not?

For when I look up all I see
is the dark silhouette off the trees, nothing else.
But I do notice, one set of hoots
is always answered by the other.
I can tell exactly where they are.
One just overhead,
the other farther off on the right.
Then we wander off.

On the way back I listen intently.
Road noise I hear,
a train off in the distance.
It’s lilting horn wafting lazily through the air.

Ah, but then the owls again!
I know the spot
where I heard the last one.
But it’s apparent now
that one has moved on.
The other hasn’t.
Same spot now, directly above,
ah there’s the other one
 closer and deeper in the wood.

What makes it seem so surreal,
why do I love nature so?
May you find something today

just like that, something that just captivates you so.




Reading about nature is fine,
but if a person walks in the woods and listens carefully,
he can learn more than what is in books,
for they speak with the voice of God.


All My Love Always, Keith


No comments:

Post a Comment