Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Legacy



Legacy

An excerpt from Oprah Winfrey's
2018 USC Commencement speech.

You build a legacy
not from one thing
but from everything.

I remember when
I just opened my school in 2007,
I came back and I had the great joy
of sitting at Maya Angelou's table.

She hadn't been able
to attend the opening in South Africa.
And I said to her, "Oh Maya,
the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy
that's going to be my greatest legacy."

I remember she was standing
at the counter making biscuits
and she turned, she put the dough down,
and she looked at me and said, 
"You have no idea what your legacy will be."

I said, "Excuse me?
I just opened this school
and these girls, and it's going to be..."

And she said,
"You have no idea
what your legacy will be, 
because your legacy
is every life you touch.
Every life you touch." 

That changed me.


All My Love Always, Keith 


No comments:

Post a Comment